Date Posted: 06-24-22
Position/Title: Economic Development Manager
Organization: City of Greenbelt, MD
JOB SUMMARY AND DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE WORK:
Coordinates the economic development operations and activities to achieve the goals and objectives of the City of Greenbelt. The work is performed under the direction of the City Manager, but extensive leeway is granted for the exercise of independent judgement and initiative. The nature of the work performed requires that an employee in this position establish and maintain effective working relationships with elected and appointed officials; city staff; businesses and community groups; developers; county, state and federal officials; and the general public. A significant focus of the work is in Business Retention and Expansion, working with and in support of, Greenbelt’s existing businesses
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Implementing a Business Retention visitation and tracking program to support retention and expansion needs.
- Identifying resources and developing Economic Development initiatives designed to assist small businesses and entrepreneurs; and referring them to the appropriate business assistance agency to support their business growth needs.
- Identifying workforce development resources to assist businesses with workforce training and employee retention/recruitment.
- Serving as a liaison to businesses, professional groups, and county and state agencies.
- Maintaining strong working relationships with area businesses, clients, the media, the general public, and others having an interest in, or impact on, economic development for the City of Greenbelt.
- Providing advice and assistance in the City’s application and permitting process to businesses, property owners and developers.
- Maintaining an inventory of available office space, buildings and development sites within the City.
- Maintaining and updating a list of Greenbelt businesses.
- Monitoring and updating the Economic Development pages on the City website.
- Working with the City’s Public Information Office to promote economic development activities/events on the City’s social media platforms.
- Providing information and/or making presentations to the City Manager, City Council, boards, commissions, civic groups, businesses, and the general public on economic development issues, programs, services and plans.
- Remaining current on the principles, practices and trends in economic development through attendance at conferences, workshops, and training sessions.
- Other duties as assigned.
IMPORTANT JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Developing short and long-term economic development strategic goals as well as gathering information and preparing studies, reports and recommendations to achieve such goals.
- Researching, collecting, compiling analyzing and preparing information for dissemination, including economic and financial statistics, demographic information, and labor market trends; and preparation of information on utilities, taxes, zoning, transportation, community services, financing tools and incentives.
- Develop, implement and track economic development efforts to maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of the City's economic development program.
MATERIAL AND EQUIPMENT USED:
Computer, General Office Equipment, Automobile, Mobile Telephone
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABIITIES:
- General understanding of economic development, community development, and local government practices.
- Ability to work collaboratively and build consensus around economic development initiatives.
- Knowledge in economic development tools including but not limited to, Tax Increment Financing (TIF), tax abatement, and state and county economic development incentive/assistance programs.
- Knowledgeable in preparing budgets and fiscal analysis of proposals.
- Skill and ability in public speaking and making effective presentations to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to prepare and present accurate, logical, and reliable oral and written reports, recommendations and presentations utilizing illustrative charts, tables and graphs.
- Knowledgeable in City, County and State laws, ordinances, regulations, and policies as they affect the business community and economic development efforts.
- Knowledgeable in current economic development, demographic and market trends in the region; and the ability to research and analyze methods and techniques.
- Knowledgeable in local, regional and national business and real estate market trends.
- An understanding of the principles, practices, and methods of financing private and public sector projects.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in economic development, urban planning, or a related field from an accredited college or university.
- Knowledgeable of Microsoft Office, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Designation as a Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) or equivalent.
- Demonstrated experience with coordinating and organizing business events or special projects.
- Experience or training in business retention & expansion or community revitalization.
- Familiar with CoStar and LoopNet property databases.
- Work is performed in a normal office environment with little exposure to outdoor temperatures or dirt and dust.
- The employees working conditions are typically quiet.
- Occasional evening and weekend working hours will be required.
Note: This class specification should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential functions and requirements of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification. Any essential function or requirement of this class will be evaluated as necessary should an incumbent/applicant be unable to perform the function or requirement due to a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Reasonable accommodation for the specific disability will be made for the incumbent/applicant when possible
Click Here for More Information and the Apply